Radda in Chianti
Radda in Chianti is a marvellous medieval town surrounded by boundary walls. Located between the valleys of Arbia and Pesa, it has very ancient origins. Inhabited since the 9th century B.C. and also mentioned in a parchment dated 1002, Radda was the seat of the League of Chianti and of the podestà sent by Florence, as testified to in the splendid 15th-century Palazzo, whose façade is decorated with family coats of arms. The town still preserves a medieval plan characterised by narrow streets coming out into the town square overlooked by the Church of St.Nicholas. Nearby is the Grand-Ducal Ice-House, built at the end of 1800 to preserve snow and transform it into ice. Near Radda in Chianti there are numerous castles and splendid parish churches, among which Volpaia is certainly worth a visit, medieval in origin and perfectly preserved, and the Romanesque Parish Church of Santa Maria. Today Radda, which is part of the “Gallo Nero” Black Rooster Consortium for the protection of Classic Chianti, is a much sought-after tourist destination for those who love excellent wine and the natural setting that produces it.